Statement, disclaimer and site agreement:
- RETROBYTES respects user privacy and security and will never share, sell or abuse any personal data. All comments, submission, registration, etc are performed on a secure SSL connection on-site. Likewise, by using comments, you agree to not abuse your abilities or hold me liable for any mental, physical or existential harm from using this site or services. You should be over 13 years of age to interact with site.
Comments require an email address, which creates a unique user account. This is done for a few specific reasons and explanations:
- To help prevent and identify spam easily.
- To help protect your commenting handle and abuse from others.
- If there is any problem, need to change or remove, you can simply email me and I can perform any task.
Our highscore board system is hand-curated, where every score is reviewed via video capture - whether posted online, emailed or transferred to RETROBYTES.org. This board is run for fun, open to the public. Video submissions are required due to many games having trainers or cheats.
If you introduce a highscore challenge, you must either: email in a video marked with some sort of ownership mark, brand or identifier, clearly signifying its your, such as (a) using the game's own highscore table, or (b) on piece of paper or post-it note (NOT an edit via image-editing software but something clearly unique as signature) showing your handle/name tag in photo in video or recording.
Videos will be linked if public and online (and verified by RETROBYTES staff).Once verified, your score will be updated on the board. (b) Or make a video establishing the first score! You are welcome to introduce new games to the RETROBYTES leaderboard system in either manner.
Capturing video is very easy today, here are some tips:
[if you are reading this i am updating now! literally - now!]
- Have a highscore, you want to submit? Email us your video, whether a link for download or your video online. We will view, verify, note and update the correlative leaderboard top 10, if your score qualifies!
- HIGHSCORE GAME CHALLENGES: Yes, start a challenge via a photo OR video (any platform that offers emulation or contemporary) or play/record a video and email us, we will update the game's leaderboard.
- ARTICLES/REVIEW: Yes, send them along. Terms: Permission for RETROBYTESs to archive and serve. Copyright is retained by respective authors.
- ADVERTISING: Free square buttons or vertical banners are available for homebrew game creators or linux/development open-source projects. Simple time-based display, non-intrusive, selective ads on topic that will not affect or exploit user privacy and site performance can be considered.
- SUGGESTIONS/BUGS: Send them along, help appreciated.
- CONTEMPORARY OS PLATFORMS: (a) Especially all native Arch Linux and pacman-based distributions applications; (b) Portable Windows or cross-platform or web.
- GAMING/EMULATION: All vintage platforms, some examples: C64, C128, VIC-20, PET, Amiga, ZX Spectrum, ZX81, Tandy, TI-99, Tangerine Oric, Odyssey2, Amstrad CPC, SAM Coupe, Sega MegaDrive (Genesis), Atari 2600/5200/7800, XL/XE, Jaguar, Lynx, Mattel Intellivision, Colecovision, Nintendo NES, SNES, TurboGrafX, Vintage/Retro-styled PC/DOS, Windows (Small Portable/WINE compliant), Linux, Web technologies such as HTML, PHP, JS; old Flash games, ETC.
- The term I use to generally categorize games from any platform that are: [a] low in file size (certainly under 700MB, such as a CD, and usually less than 150MB if not smaller into low MB or KB range); [b] do not use tons of resources, cpu or ram. In other words NOT 20GB multiplayer cloud-based DRM games.